Next SOCC Meet: May 19th | UVSS Board Rep Call Out | Candy Land | Mintues

Hello!

Thanks to all those that came out to the meeting on Tuesday.

Below are the following:

1. Notice of Next Meeting: May 19th Visioning for SOCC pt. 1

2. Call Out for SOCC Representative on the UVSS Board: Ongoing

3. UVIC Pride’s Dance this weekend, Candy Land!: This Friday May 15th

4. Meeting Minutes of the Last Collective Meeting

Any questions? Please email us at socc@uvic.ca

Best,

billy

Office Coordinator – Students of Colour Collective.

1. Our next meeting will be happening next Tuesday May 19th, 12:30pm.All meetings are open to all self-identified Indigenous and/or People of Colour. We will be meeting in SOCC, and if it’s nice we’ll be going outside! This meeting we will be brainstorming about the vision and goals for the Students of Colour Collective for the next year. This will be an ongoing conversation throughout May and June. What does racial justice look like on and off campus? What events would you want to see SOCC do? How do we build community? We hope you’re interested in being part of that vision for the next year!


2. We are still looking for nominations for an undergraduate student SOCC representative for the UVSS Board. This person would be responsible for representing the Students of Colour on the UVSS. Their responsibilities would include being able to make bi-weekly meetings for the UVSS and for the Students of Colour Collective. UVSS Board meetings are held every two weeks, on Monday evenings, starting at 6pm. SOCC meetings are every two weeks, on Tuesdays, from 12:30pm. The next SOC Collective meeting will be on Tuesday, May 19th.

If you’re interested, please submit a small paragraph about why you’d like to represent the Students of Colour Collective to socc@uvic.ca.


3. UVIC Pride is putting on an all ages dance party this Friday, May 15th! Here’s more information (from the FB event page):

Everyone welcome! All Ages!
By donation and no one will be turned away. (All donations will go to the UVic Pride Queer Youth Fund)

Doors at 8:00pm !!!

On May 15th, at the Norway House (on the Homelands of the Lekwungen and WSANEC Peoples, 1110 Hillside Avenue) UVic Pride is happy to invite you to come on out to a community event to dance and listen to live music!!

Music By:
Elder Sister Plum – http://eldersisterplum.com/music/
Chance Lovett, of the Chanterelles – https://soundcloud.com/chance-lovett
Z!k – http://ziktoria.bandcamp.com/releases

DJ’s:
Dear Liza, Dear Liza
DJ Taro

ALso, eat tasty treats and sweets! The dance is “Candy Land” themed, there will be lots and lots of candy and candy themed foods for free!

Drinks will be available for purchase.
Alcohol for 19+

Bus Tickets will be available, and we will have safer spaces volunteers at the welcome table as well as hanging out wearing rad volunteer t-shirts:) So if you need someone to talk to, these folx will be around.

Accessibility Information:
The building is on the 4 and 6 bus routes.
It has two washrooms, one is on ground level and is wheelchair accessible and the other is at the top of some stairs. And there is a ramp going into the building.


SoC Collective Meeting/Minutes (in Italics) Agenda:

Date: May 12, 2015

Time: 12:30pm-2:30

Attendance: Macayla, Meris, David, Erica, billy (oc)

Note: Only three members at start of meeting. decided not to make big decisions today. Part way through, more members showed up, with a total of five. Some decisions made (i.e. board rep, advocacy proposals, art)

Welcome!

  1. Acknowledgement of Lkwungen, WSANEC Homelands – Meris
  2. Check in
  3. AGM Follow Up:
    1. Office Coordinator (OC): Budget for possible changes (+5hrs, benefits)
      1. +5hrs + benifits would cost SOCC approx. $10K. Will not decide today on whether or not to approve this. also, once hours are raised they cannot be taken back down.
      2. billy will make points around possible expansion of oc position (i.e. duties that are/can be done to justify +5hrs)
      3. billy will create a timeline for the OC hiring process, goal to have OC in place before the Fall. note around transition, overlap of coordinators – can this be two weeks? at least one
    2. Call for Committee to review Office Coordinator Job Description
      1. no volunteers for this.
    3. Budget for Summer
      1. done. not to breakdown the costs of projected labour. correct projected number was there for each month, but breakdown was not (cpp, ei, etc). 
    4. Work Study Top Up?
      1. Fall Work Study Job Postings Update
        1. small changes made to job descriptions.
        2. not that the work study’s did not receive top ups last year. SOCC has approved $1.00 top up, will make sure work study’s receive this this coming year.
  4. UVSS Board Rep: Self-Nominations
    1. Leat Ahrony
      1. Leat’s nomination was not approved.
      2. OC will do another call out, requirements include
        1. Commitment to make UVSS and SOCC meetings.
        2. David and billy will make arrangements to step in as non-voting members on UVSS Board until a new rep is nominated.
  5. Advocacy Council Proposals:
    1. AVP
      1. Not approved.
    2. Super T-Training?
      1. Approved to be brought to Advocacy Council for Funding. OC to confirm funding amount requested.
      2. Reciprocity request: Marwo will be asked to provide a share-back/training for SOCC members after the training.
  6. ART:
    1. Donate Art for SOCC
      1. Grateful for Art!
      2. Will find space on existing wall space (by collage, but the storage unit)
    2. SUB Reno Question: SOCC Mural in the Hallway?
      1. (confirmed?) Mural to be put up, with chance for folks to add onto it.
    3. Take down board behind couch, make room for art?
      1. Not approved. See 6.a.i
  7. Outreach for Summer:
    1. Volunteer/Tabling Opportunity: AfricaFest (May 22-24)
      1. Socc Table
      2. General Volunteering
        1. David and Meris (23+24) are interested, billy will email with times and connect them to Pulcherie
        2. Macayla volunteering for Candy Land
  8. Research Project Request:
    1. Some concerns raised about project.
    2. Meris will contact researchers to provide feedback.  

REST TABLED FOR NEXT MEETING (MAY 19TH, 12:30PM. LOCATION TBA: PICNIC?)

    1. What else to do for Summer Outreach? Fun? Movie Nights? Share meals? Picnics? Dancing? (Candy Land on the 17th)
    2. David: Silk Screening?
      1. David will do silk screening workshop!
  1. Visioning for the Fall: Reflection Process, implement mechanisms for internal feedback (360 feedback?) SWOT? Strategic Planning?
  2. Coffee Maker for SOCC?
  3. SOCC foodbank?
  4. Notes on Outreach:
    1. outreach to highschools?
    2. Campus meetings/tours during summer/fall for new racialized students.

SOCC Next Collective Meeting: Tuesday May 12th

Hello Everyone!

Hope y’all are doing well.

This is an invitation to the Students of Colour Collective Meeting, happening next week. It will be on Tuesday, May 12th at 12:30pm, and will be hosted in the SOCC office (UVic, SUB, room B020). Agenda below the email.

Also, Leat Ahrony has applied for the SOCC UVSS Board Representative. Please see Leat’s application below the Agenda.

For those of you around in the summer, please do come by and share some snacks and chat about Summer fun!

Snacks and bus tickets will be provided.

best,

billy yu

Office Coordinator

Students of Colour Collective

University Of “Victoria”

Lkwungen and WSANEC Homelands

PH: 250-472-4697

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_~_~_

Agenda:

Welcome!

  1. Acknowledgement of Lkwungen, WSANEC Homelands
  2. Check in
  3. AGM Follow Up:
    1. Office Coordinator: Budget for possible changes (+5hrs, benefits)
    2. Call for Committee to review Office Coordinator Job Description
    3. Budget for Summer
    4. Work Study Top Up?
  4. Fall Work Study Job Postings Update
  5. UVSS Board Rep: Self-Nominations
    1. Leat Ahrony
  6. Advocacy Council Proposals:
    1. AVP
    2. Super T-Training?
  7. ART:
    1. Donate Art for SOCC
    2. SUB Reno Question: SOCC Mural in the Hallway?
  8. Outreach for Summer:
    1. Volunteer/Tabling Opportunity: AfricaFest (May 22-24)
      1. Socc Table
      2. General Volunteering
    2. What else to do for Summer Outreach?
    3. David: Silk Screening?
    4. Movie Nights? Share meals? Picnics? Dancing? (Candy Land on the 17th)

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_~_~_

Here is Leat Ahrony’s application for UVSS Board SOCC Representative:

“Dear SOCC collective, I am so happy first of all that we past the referendum and we now receive funding from the UVSS. As a past SOCC rep, I feel it is extremely important to have a collective voice of the BOD of UVSS because that is where important and often impactful decisions are made. It has come to my attention that there isn’t a lot of SOCC members here in the summer, and it would be unwise to keep our spot empty. The New executive directors of 2015-16 will officially take their positions on Monday, May 4th, and summer time is a crucial time to build the relationships and foster collaboration.

That said, I am happy to take on the role of the SOCC rep (i.e. nominate myself) for the summer term. If the collective is willing, As a minority, and a person of color, we must not lose our presence, and continue our advocacy in all fronts.”

SOCC Annual General Meeting, Constitution, and Call for Representatives

Hello Everyone, 

Hope y’all are enjoying the summery weather out there.

Here’s some updates from the collective, which includes updates from the AGM, and a call out for SOCC Representatives on the UVSS Board and from the Grad Student Society (GSS).

The minutes from the SOCC AGM that happened on April 27th, 2015 can be found by clicking here. They are below as well. Thank you to all SOCC members that came out. It was a kind and productive meeting.

Notes of interest:

– The Students of Colour Collective Constitution was amended. Please check out the changes on our website: http://soccpage.com/constitution/

– Bi-weekly meetings will happen for the rest of Summer. The next meeting will be on May 12th, starting at 12:30pm in the SOCC office (B020, Student Union Building, UVIC). Snacks will be provided.

– Appointed to the Advocacy Council is Cage Chuttoo

SEEKING SOCC REPRESENTATIVES:

– We are still looking for a SOCC Representative to the UVSS Board. This is an opportunity to be a part of the UVSS leadership team that provides services to almost 15,000 undergraduate students. This person would be a member of the SOCC and represent the interests of racial justice. If you are interested, please email socc@uvic.ca and submit a small paragraph on why you would like to represent the Students of Colour Collective.

– We are also looking for a member to join our collective that is a Graduate Student on Campus. If you are a Graduate Student, and would like to be more involved in addressing racism and white supremacy on and off campus, please email socc@uvic.ca.

*These positions are for those who self-identify as a person of colour and/or Indigenous*

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you all soon!

best,

billy yu

Office Coordinator

Students of Colour Collective

University Of “Victoria”

Lkwungen and WSANEC Homelands

PH: 250-472-4697


Minutes from AGM: 

April 27th, 2015 5:30-8:30pm

Attendance: Tri, billy (OC, Office Coordinator), Cage, Daphne, and David.

Quorum: Yes.

Agenda + Minutes:

Acknowledgement of Lkwungen and WSANEC Homelands – billy

Review and approval of AGM Agenda

  • Done.   

Review and approval of minutes from last AGM

  • Question: Are the Work Studies getting top ups from SOCC? OC will find out.

Review and approval of Students of Colour Constitution

  • Many changes made to the Constitution. Please see updated Constitution.

Appointment of UVSS Board Representative

  • Not successful.

Appointment of Advocacy Council Representative

  • Cage Chuttoo.

Summer Meeting Schedule

  • Meetings will happen every 2 weeks, at 12:30pm. The next meeting will happen on May 12. The last meeting of the Summer will happen on Aug 18th.

Office Coordinator Report

  • Done.

Anti-O Workshop request from VIPIRG

  • OC time Approved

Sexualized Violence Prevention Week

  • OC time Approved

Tabled for next meeting:

SOCC Socials, Gifts of Art, Work Study Application Process for Fall, Finding Dawn Screening, Social Media, Graduate Society Student Representative, Advocacy Council Proposals

PULSE ZINE Art on the fly in the SUB

Hello beautiful people, it is a gorgeous day today and it is two weeks until the PULSE ZINE submission deadline (February 28th 2015)

I have been receiving many lovely recipes and writing pieces, but I don’t want anyone to miss the deadline.

So today in the SUB I will be tabling with info about the referendum (including sign up sheets for our info sessions) as well as PULSE Zine submissions.
Come pull up a chair to the table and do a sketch write a poem or just talk and then all the creations from today and friday will have their own place in the Book!

Also this Friday there will also be a Bake sale for PULSE happening at the table! So feel free to bake for the table and I will be able to reimburse you.

Lets make this week about creativity and self expression.

 

cool thing

PULSE 2015 is looking for your art, poetry, recipes and stories!

The Students of Colour Collective presents Pulse Zine 2015 as a COOK BOOK For Your Soul.

We are looking for submissions of recipes, along with a short write up of why you choose this recipe and it’s significance in your life, family, and roots. We want to give space for your racialized experiences/identity as a person of colour or Indigenous person, and gather/resist through our food.

*We recognize that not all folks who identify as people of colour are “visible” and that all racialized experiences are complicated. We welcome submissions that highlight this reality. We are seeking to create a space and community where folks with racialized experiences are recognized, honored, and privileged. As such, we would love to hear a variety of voices and encourage all folks who identify as people of colour and/or Indigenous people, including all identities and backgrounds of sexuality, gender, ability, health and identities and backgrounds of sexuality, gender, and socioeconomic locations to submit.*

Please email submissions to pulse.socc@gmail.com

Or mail to

Students of Colour Collective,

Student Union Building,

3800 Finnerty Road

By February 28th 2015

 pulse cookbook

SOCC is Hiring, Again!

The Students of Colour Collective is still looking to fill two work study positions. If you are interested in working towards racial justice through art, advocacy, and community building, please apply!

1) Project Coordinator 
http://www.uvic.ca/registrar/assets/docs/safa/workstudy/workstudy-postings/UVSS_SCC1.pdf
2) Resource Coordinator 
http://www.uvic.ca/registrar/assets/docs/safa/workstudy/workstudy-postings/UVSS_SCC2.pdf

HOW TO APPLY: Drop an application and cover letter off at the SOCC office, located in the Student Union Building, B102 or send it by email socc@uvss.ca. This position is restricted to self-identified people of colour applicants only (see charter of rights and freedoms, Article 12, Subsection 2). We strongly encourage women of color, Indigenous women, women with disabilitie(s), queer and trans women to apply.

Applicants must be eligible for Work Study program. For details about Work Study positions and eligibility please go to:

http://registrar.uvic.ca/safa/workstudy/workstudyindex.html 

Thank you,

Billy Yu

Office Coordinator